Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Wow...it's been a long time since I've visited the blog world. I've been so busy with school starting and getting back into the routine of a very scheduled life. As a teacher you go from about two and a half months of unstructured time back to a very precise schedule. It can be a bit of a shock to the system. I love this time of year though, it is my favorite!! Things start slowing down, you get to spend more time with family and eat some great food. Today I've been baking pies and getting green bean casserole ready for a big family gathering, 20 people to be exact. Not at my house, thank goodness. I've hosted before but not for that many and I do not mind at all to take a break and let someone else stress out  host this year. It gives me more time to decorate my Christmas tree and getting ready for the best holiday of the year.... CHRISTMAS!!!

I'm want to share what I've been cooking this morning and tell you how I may do it a little different than the recipe. I tend to put my own twist with recipe. I would be a terrible chef, since I don't think I've ever followed a recipe exactly how it is written. It's just how I think.....that I can come up with a better way. Sometime it works out and sometimes it doesn't. With green bean casserole it did! My apple pie and pumpkin pies aren't to shabby either. I follow the recipes pretty closely except for I always add more cinnamon and sugar.

I followed the Pilsbury's refrigerated roll out pie crust recipe. I peeled and sliced three granny smith apples and three small braeburn apples. I added sugar, flour, and apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove).
I love this color :)

Since I'm adding so much fresh fruit, it's healthy right? This means I can have 2 slices.
With all this sugar maybe just one piece.
I'm not showing the pie after I put on the top crust...it's not as pretty.

Where is the whipped cream? I like a little pie with lots of whipped cream...yum!

I followed the French's French Fried Onions recipe for Green Bean Casserole and added sauteed mushrooms and almonds.My thinking on this is that I wanted more mushroom and nutty flavors to the dish. The almonds add a bit of a crunch which I like.
Most of the ingredients....missing milk and french fried onions.


Saute mushrooms
They sure do shrink!!
    
For a gathering of 20 people...you think it is enough?
Bake casseroles  covered at 350 for 40 minutes. Add remaining french fried onions and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. I know it is too late to make these for Thanksgiving, but you can make them for Christmas. For me cooking for Thanksgiving is kinda of a practice run for December 25th :)

I'm so Thankful for my Family, Friends, Health and Happiness. I hope you have plenty to be thankful for also.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! Gobble till you Wobble

Cori Ann

2 comments: